March 2019 On 11 March 2019, the European Commission has published new edition of type approval protocol No. 1. Changes are summarised in below.
Remote controlled toy helicopters
- Changes The scope is restricted to those for children over 12 years old only.
- Remark The remote controlled helicopters for children over 8 years old were covered by the new EN 71-1 standard.
- Changes Removed from the type approval list.
- Remark The new harmonised EN 71-1 standard can now cover this category of toys.
Toys are subject to type examination in case the harmonized standards cannot cover all relevant safety requirements or cannot be followed completely. Based on the nature, design, construction or purpose of the toys, manufacturer can also submit them for type examination carried out by Notified Bodies, using the type approval protocols as guidelines to carry out the assessment.
Protocol No. 1 provides an exhaustive list of toys requiring type examination according to Toy Safety Directive and also those do not. In light of the harmonisation of new standard EN 71-1:2014+A1:2018 that came into effect on 28 February 2019, changes were made to the list of toys that require type examination.
- Servizi TÜV Italia per giocattoli e prodotti per l'infanzia