Food-contact material compliance evaluation
Food contact materials may act as a source of contamination due to the migration of substances from the packaging materials to the food product they are in contact with.
- This has led the relevant authorities both at a national and EU level to issue an extensive regulation to the end of preventing hazardous contaminations and protect consumers’ health.
- In Europe, art. 3 of European regulation 1935/2004 requires all materials that are or could come in direct contact with foodstuffs to be compliant to good manufacturing practices and to prevent migration of components in such a quantity as to result in:
- human health hazards;
- a significant alteration in product composition;
- deterioration of the organoleptic characteristics of food
Through the TÜV SÜD network of laboratories, as well as the expertise and accreditations of their personnel, TÜV Italia can offer valuable support in compliance evaluation aimed especially at manufacturing companies as well as importers of food contact materials and other items and their personnel.
Our services at a glance
Key Food Contact material services can be summarized as follows:
- Risk Assessment (usually for newly designed products or materials);
- Technical/regulatory consulting at a national level;
- Technical/regulatory consulting at a European and global level;
- Technical support for the creation of technical files and for the compilation of compliance statements;
- Compliance tests (global migration, specific migration, analysis of material composition by means of IR spectrophotometry, etc.) followed by the issue of a report by TÜV SÜD;
- Company personnel training.
In Europe: EU directive 1935/2004.
In addition, there are local regulations and decrees specifying the relevant legal frame of reference in individual countries. In Italy, for example, Presidential Decree 777 and legislative decree 108 establish basic requirements as to the suitability of a packaging material to be used for foodstuffs; Ministerial Decree 21/03/73 establishes regulations as to the authorization and control of material suitability and comprises both general and specific provisions (i.e. limited to specific materials).
Tests are performed on samples of the finished product or of the material used. Based on the positive outcome of such tests a Test Report is produced including a description of the tests performed and their results; should the tests yield a negative outcome, this is notified to the client and the necessary corrective actions are jointly planned in order to remove the non-conformities emerged.
Technical consulting services are provided through a yearly ‘subscription’ giving the company the opportunity to benefit from the support of TÜV Italia’s industry experts in order to obtain accurate, in-depth legal insight whenever needed.
Validity of certification
Tests on food contact products and materials, along with the related reports, are not subject to specific periods of validity provided that such products or materials are not modified in ways that affect their safety and/or there are no changes in the relevant legislative framework.